About this role
- These are 9 month, fixed term contracts
- Are you someone who is passionate about maintaining Heritage and Visitor assets and providing quality visitor experiences?
- Do you enjoy both back country and front country track, hut, campsite, and amenities maintenance?
If yes, then this is the job for you!
Toitū te marae a Tāne, toitū te marae a Tangaroa, toitū te tangata
If the land is well and the sea is well, the people will thrive
At Te Papa Atawhai, Department of Conservation we express our spirit of service and serve Aotearoa through our purpose, Papatūānuku Thrives. Our organisational strategy, Te Kaupapa a Te Papa Atawhai, puts nature and people at the heart of everything we do. It is anchored by te reo Māori and te ao Māori, recognising that Te Tiriti o Waitangi and our whānau, hapū and iwi are central to all our mahi.
He angitūtanga | About the role
As a Ranger (fixed term) based in Hokitika, you will contribute to the work of the team maintaining Visitor and Heritage sites including:
- Maintaining both back country and front country tracks.
- Maintaining back country huts, bridges, and other structures.
- Maintaining and servicing camp sites
- Assisting the wider teams when required.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with stake holders and internal staff.
- Construction/ building work when required.
You will be joining a positive and enthusiastic team delivering conservation outcomes in Hokitika.
Ngā pūkenga me ngā wheako | Skills and experience
If you have the following attributes, we are keen to hear from you:
- A current First Aid certificate.
- Class 1 or above driver's licence, ideally with the ability to drive a manual.
- A positive can-do attitude and excellent communications skills.
- An ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ideally experience working in the back country/remotely for extended periods of time
- A high level of physical fitness
- Experience in maintaining visitor facilities, tracks and structures is highly desirable.
- Experience and qualifications with use of chainsaws, scrub bars, 4WDS, and helicopters, is highly desirable.
- Carpentry/ construction skills and experience are an advantage.
- Good people skills, a strong team player who works well with others
- A strong level of emotional intelligence
Mō te tīma | About the team
The Kaitiaki/Ranger positions will form part of an energetic and hardworking team comprised of the Supervisor Heritage and Visitor, Senior Ranger and 3 permanent Rangers. The successful applicants may also get the opportunity to work alongside different teams including the Biodiversity and Community team.
Mō mātou | About us
Te Papa Atawhai is committed to fostering a diverse workforce that represents the communities we serve, and to creating an inclusive workplace culture. Our Te Kaupapa behaviours of whakatīnanatia (we deliver), atawhaitia a Papatūānuku (we love nature), whakawhānaungatanga (we build relationships) and whakaauaha (we innovate) guide what we need to do for Papatūānuku to Thrive.
Ko ngā hua | What we offer
We take pride in enabling our kaimahi to bring their unique perspectives to mahi, in pursuit of our collective aspirations. Our commitment to well-being and professional development includes:
- Be a part of one of the best New Zealand employers in 2022 (Randstad survey)
- Te Pukenga Atawhai – Cultural Capability Development Programme
- Free access to DOC campsites, huts and accommodation across New Zealand
Tono ināianei | Apply now
Submit a tailored CV and cover letter highlighting your relevant skills, experience, and alignment to our Kaupapa.
The salary range for this position is $47,320 to $59,978 with the starting salary of the successful applicant being based on their relevant skills and experience
Rā katinga | Applications close: Monday 10 October, 5pm
Me he pātai anō | Further enquiries contact Dylan Higgison on 027 213 9376
Taupānga| Job Reference: T 400/07340
COVID-19 Vaccination: Some positions that are identified as high risk may still have a requirement for appointees to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination prior to commencing for these positions will be required and applicants will be notified during the recruitment process if this condition will apply.
Eligibility to work in New Zealand is mandatory – this includes holding a valid work visa that covers the whole period of employment.
Visit www.doc.govt.nz to find out more about a career with us.
|Application close date:||10-Oct-2022|
|Attachments:|| Role Description - Ranger.pdf (PDF, 237KB)