Senior Marine Protection Advisor (Fixed Term)
About this role
- We have a fantastic opportunity for someone looking for a rewarding career contributing to the delivery of conservation in New Zealand.
- This is an exciting time to join Te Papa Atawhai/the Department of Conservation and our highly experienced and motivated team.
- Full time fixed term role (20 months) with flexibility on location
Toitū te marae a Tāne, toitū te marae a Tangaroa, toitū te tangata.
If the land is well and the sea is well, the people will thrive.
He angitūtanga: About the Role
Our National Marine Protection Team delivers a range of complex marine protection projects and processes across Aotearoa. We work with iwi, hapū and whānau to realise their aspirations and protect their rights and interests, we have strong working relationships with multiple teams across Government and, we engage with the public and other stakeholders to understand what marine conservation means to them.
We are a national team of marine protection and management planners distributed from Murihiku through to Tāmaki Makaurau with people working from DOC offices or flexibly in other locations. We have a great mix of skills, interests, backgrounds, and approaches.
This position would suit someone who has strong analytical and organisational experience with a focus on marine protection, excellent writing skills and the ability to build positive relationships across a multi-functioned team and with external stakeholders. Experience in complex work programmes and statutory processes is key.
At a senior advisory level, you have a leadership role within the team, coaching and mentoring marine protection advisors across the wider team and providing expert-level support.
He kōrero mōu: What we are looking for
We are looking for someone who has excellent written acumen, is a great communicator and is committed to working collaboratively with others. We value diversity in our team. You will also have:
- Senior level experience in strategy, policy and/or planning.
- Strong analytical and organisational skills and excellent communication skills.
- Deep knowledge of marine protection legislation and processes or equivalent experience working with conservation/ environmental legislation.
- Experience providing strategic advice and support to Ministers and decision makers.
- A team player capable of building strong relationships and able to mentor other colleagues in their work.
- Knowledge of Te Tiriti o Waitangi including the willingness to engage in Te Ao Māori and tikanga Māori. Experience working with tangata whenua: iwi, hapū and whānau is preferred.
There can be times when the workload will be high so you will need to be able to remain calm and focused and work well under pressure.
Ngā āhuatanga kei a mātou: What you will get from this role
- The opportunity to work with an amazing team of marine protection professionals
- Further your experience in dynamic and highly complex processes
- The opportunity to represent DOC in key internal and external stakeholder relationships
- Gain experience in a fascinating and evolving work area.
If you have any role enquiries please contact the Marine Protection Team Lead, Kathryn Blakemore firstname.lastname@example.org or 0272095253.
This advert closes at 5pm on Sunday 27th November 2022. Please apply with a copy of your CV and covering letter.
Eligibility to work in New Zealand is mandatory, including a valid work visa covering the whole period of employment if applying internationally.
|Application close date:||27-Nov-2022|
|Attachments:|| Role Description - Senior Marine Protection Advisor.pdf (PDF, 147KB)