About this role
- Are you someone who loves the outdoors?
- Are you passionate about conservation and can work in a dynamic environment while delivering quality outcomes?
- It's not every day you get the opportunity to work and live on Stewart Island, so why not join our operations teams!
Toitū te marae a Tāne, toitū te marae a Tangaroa, toitū te tangata
If the land is well and the sea is well, the people will thrive
At Te Papa Atawhai, Department of Conservation we express our spirit of service and serve Aotearoa through our purpose, Papatūānuku Thrives. Our organisational strategy, Te Kaupapa a Te Papa Atawhai, puts nature and people at the heart of everything we do. It is anchored by te reo Māori and te ao Māori, recognising that Te Tiriti o Waitangi and our whānau, hapū and iwi are central to all our mahi.
He angitūtanga | About the role
The Rakiura/Stewart Island operations team has 1 permanent full-time position for someone that isn't afraid to get stuck into conservation mahi! Your mahi will be diverse and work alongside the Supervisor and other permanent Rangers, your work will include:
- Managing assigned project work.
- Trapping and weeding
- Pest species work (both plant and animal)
- Assisting the wider operations team when required.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with stake holders and internal staff.
You will be joining a positive and enthusiastic team delivering conservation outcomes in Rakiura.
Ngā pūkenga me ngā wheako | Skills and experience
This role is unique and will require you to have a key focus on health and safety and proven back-country experience. If you are a keen outdoorsperson and have a passion for conservation, we urge you to apply.
If you have the following skills, we want to hear from you:
- High personal commitment to Health and Safety
- Experience with trapping and weeding
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Strong planning, organisational skills and attention to detail
- Practical experience and interest in biodiversity work
- A current First Aid certificate
- A current Growsafe standard certificate
- Experience working in the building/painting trades or similar
- Experience working with Light Utility Vehicles (LUV)
- Boater operator experience
Mō te tīma | About the team
The Kaitiaki, Ranger position will form part of an energetic and hardworking team comprised of the Supervisor, Senior Ranger, 8 Rangers and a number of summer seasonal staff based in Rakiura. The Rakiura operational team are a close-knit team, so you'll get the opportunity to be exposed to different work streams during your time as a Ranger.
Mō mātou | About us
Te Papa Atawhai is committed to fostering a diverse workforce that represents the communities we serve, and to creating an inclusive workplace culture. Our Te Kaupapa behaviours of whakatīnanatia (we deliver), atawhaitia a Papatūānuku (we love nature), whakawhānaungatanga (we build relationships) and whakaauaha (we innovate) guide what we need to do for Papatūānuku to Thrive.
Ko ngā hua | What we offer
We take pride in enabling our kaimahi to bring their unique perspectives to mahi, in pursuit of our collective aspirations. Our commitment to well-being and professional development includes:
- Free accommodation to DOC campsites and access to Great Walks across Aotearoa.
- Te Pukenga Atawhai – Cultural Capability Development Programme
- We provide great training and growth opportunities within the Department.
Tono ināianei | Apply now
Submit a tailored CV and cover letter highlighting your relevant skills, experience, and alignment to our Kaupapa.
The salary range for this position is $49,192 to $59,978 with the starting salary of the successful applicant being based on their relevant skills and experience
Rā katinga | Applications close: 5:00 pm Sunday 2 October
Me he pātai anō | Further enquiries contact Mike Southworth on 027 247 2735
Taupānga| Job Reference: DOC/400/09731
COVID-19 Vaccination: Some positions that are identifiedas high risk may still have a requirement for appointees to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination prior to commencing for these positions will be required and applicants will be notified during the recruitment process if this condition will apply.
Eligibility to work in New Zealand is mandatory – this includes holding a valid work visa that covers the whole period of employment.
Visit www.doc.govt.nz to find out more about a career with us.
|Application close date:||02-Oct-2022|
|Attachments:|| Role Description - Ranger.pdf (PDF, 226KB)