About this role
- Are you someone who loves the outdoors, is flexible, has lots of practical skills and enjoys working with people?
- We have a temporary vacancy for an experienced Ranger in our Coastal Otago Team based in Dunedin, the term is for 7 months on a permanent part time basis.
This season we have an exciting and rare opportunity to join our Coastal Otago operations team for our summer season.
Toitū te marae a Tāne, toitū te marae a Tangaroa, toitū te tangata
If the land is well and the sea is well, the people will thrive
At Te Papa Atawhai, Department of Conservation we express our spirit of service and serve Aotearoa through our purpose, Papatūānuku Thrives. Our organisational strategy, Te Kaupapa a Te Papa Atawhai, puts nature and people at the heart of everything we do. It is anchored by te reo Māori and te ao Māori, recognising that Te Tiriti o Waitangi and our whānau, hapū and iwi are central to all our mahi.
He angitūtanga | About the role
As a Ranger, you will be heavily focused on carrying out critical conservation work programmes involving:
- visitor and historic asset management
- facilities maintenance and site restoration
- weed treatment of invasive species
- working with partners and community groups
Your day to day work may take you across the district, carrying out conservation-based work programmes on public conservation land as needed. This versatile person will join our team in Coastal Otago for a permanent part-time period working between October 2022 through May 2023.
Ngā pūkenga me ngā wheako | Skills and experience
We are looking for a responsible and reliable team player, who is not afraid of hard work, and who has the following skills:
- Able to use weed eaters/scrub bars; chainsaw experience is desirable
- Familiar with weed spraying (able to carry 15ltr knapsack)
- Previous experience with maintenance of small petrol-driven engines
- Experience with operating small lawn tractors and mowers
- Able to apply practical maintenance skills for hut and track maintenance
- Experience with volunteers and working with others.
- Has a current First Aid certificate
- Has a current Full Driver's Licence
- Has a knowledge of field delivery work
- A current Approved Handlers Certificate would be an advantage
Mō mātou | About us
Te Papa Atawhai is committed to fostering a diverse workforce that represents the communities we serve, and to creating an inclusive workplace culture. Our Te Kaupapa behaviours of whakatīnanatia (we deliver), atawhaitia a Papatūānuku (we love nature), whakawhānaungatanga (we build relationships) and whakaauaha (we innovate) guide what we need to do for Papatūānuku to Thrive.
Ko ngā hua | What we offer
We take pride in enabling our kaimahi to bring their unique perspectives to mahi, in pursuit of our collective aspirations. Our commitment to well-being and professional development includes:
- Flexible working options where applicable
- Te Pukenga Atawhai – Cultural Capability Development Programme
- Active employee networks, Te Kāwai Aho Tapu - Māori Kaimahi Network, Rainbow Network
Tono ināianei | Apply now
Submit a tailored CV and cover letter highlighting your relevant skills, experience, and alignment to our Kaupapa.
The salary range for this position is $47,320 to $59,293 with the starting salary of the successful applicant being based on their relevant skills and experience
Rā katinga | Applications close: Wednesday 5 October, 5pm
Me he pātai anō | Further enquiries contact Shane Pearce on 027 481 1525
Taupānga| Job Reference: 400/09356
COVID-19 Vaccination: Some positions that are identified as high risk may still have a requirement for appointees to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination prior to commencing for these positions will be required and applicants will be notified during the recruitment process if this condition will apply.
Eligibility to work in New Zealand is mandatory – this includes holding a valid work visa that covers the whole period of employment.
Visit www.doc.govt.nz to find out more about a career with us.
|Application close date:||05-Oct-2022|
|Attachments:|| Role Description - Ranger (Band B).pdf (PDF, 264KB)